Facebook's stats page claims "Facebook is the 2nd most-trafficked social media site in the world (comScore)".
FACEBOOK/COMSCORE - UPDATE YOUR STATS!
If Google Trends is viable as an indicator, and if the online trends highlighted last month on TechCrunch are accurate, Facebook has surpassed and continues to dominate MySpace in daily unique views.
Since facebook opened up it's user base, the demographics have been changing. iStrategyLabs has some great facebook statistics from October 2007 and June 2008 that you view and download -- here are two charts which I generated for my own reference based on that data.
But there is more to the story that is not shown here -- iStrategy has three key takeaways based on the downloadable data they collected:
- Insight #1: Facebook experienced 32% growth in US users in 10 months.
- Insight #2: Facebook is experiencing explosive growth in the 25-34, 35-54 and 55+ age groups. The 35-54 year old segment grew 172.9% in 10 months - the other two mentioned are growing at a rate of 97%+.
- Insight #3: Major metropolitan areas are beating Facebook’s average user growth rate, and Houston is growing the fastest at a 170.3% clip.
It would be interesting if we could access and download specific data on facebook's international appeal. Some of that research has been done and according to Michael Arrington, facebook is no longer the second largest social network:
I look forward to seeing facebook take credit on their site for their new niche in the social networking space.
- Facebook No Longer The Second Largest Social Network (TechCrunch, June 12, 2008)
- Facebook Blows Past MySpace In Global Visitors For May (TechCrunch; June 20, 2008)
- Facebook Demographics 2008 Update - It’s Getting Older In There (iStrategy Labs, June 20, 2008)