Blue State Digital lives in the world of online fundraising, advocacy, social networking, and constituency development programs for nonprofit organizations.
Mark Skidmore describes the metrics behind the movement and the calculations behind the execution of barackobama.com during a lunchtime keynote at the eMetrics Marketing Optimization Conference in San Jose, CA (May 2009).
Here is the video, captured from the keynote. Unfortunately, it ends abruptly as my flip camera ran out of power! Sound quality poor, but audible.
But I captured the conclusion (key takeaways) of his presentation in my notes, below the video ...
Key Takeaways from Obama Campaign
- Remove the challenge of technology and pave the way for clear and concise messaging
- Every online investment should lead to a measurable outcome that furthers core goals Drive action through engagement
- Create a holistic approach to online strategy
- Get really good at the fundamentals before experimenting the with new “flashy” 3rd party apps (open rate for email 30%+; Make sure you are doing email campaigns right)
- IF you do experiment with social media - make it actual, make it interesting, make it engaging